Thursday, March 10, 2011

3 Non-Trad Gems!

I'm sure many of us wedded women agree: Hindsight truly is 20/20. Although my own wedding will forever remain one of the greatest days of my life and I wouldn't change much, I often find myself fantasizing about having my way with another wedding. There are many things I'd add to said "other" wedding.

For instance we *would* get that family fighting arena we thought about. You know, rent a couple of inflatable sumo wrestling suits and uphold a strict policy wherein awkward family run-ins would be settled in the ring. Although in reality our families were on their best behavior at our wedding, there were a couple of guest snafus that I would have liked to see end up in a sumo match. I certainly hope that someone, somewhere, at some point takes this idea and runs with it! (And don't forget to tell me if you do!)

Opening my etsy shop and making the decision to provide non-traditional wedding accoutrements to non-trad brides-to-be has given me a valid reason to carry on with my unbridled wedding obsession and live vicariously through others. I'm thrilled to be able to share some of my favorite wedding ideas. Here are 3 of my top non-trad wedding ideas:

3. Vintage Salt and Pepper Cake Toppers:


Vintage owl shakers by Sassydogs on ETSY

I mean, come on! Just look at these two! If I'd have found these two little buggers when I was looking for our cake topper, I'd have scooped them up. There couldn't have been a better way to celebrate our mutual nerdiness and penchant for strange vintage items. Plus, can't you just *see* yourself at the breakfast table---30 years from now---handing your time-seasoned beloved a sentimental salt-filled owl? I sure can.

If salt and pepper shakers aren't your cake-topping forte, be sure to check out the amazing custom toppers at WeddingsAndWire.


2. Unique photo-ops:



I thought it would be fun if we'd made a set of photo boards that made the guests look like mermaids, or pirates, or Charlie Sheen, or something.

Also, I love the idea of having a simple backdrop set up somewhere (buy yourself a nice piece of fabric and hang it on a shower rod) and provide a chest full of interesting masks and props for folks to use in photos. Be sure to visit Artisan Maskers and MoonshineBaby for some inspirado!





1. Dog ring bearers


From my wedding: Three flowers from BowWowCouture with ribbon hot-glued on!

If you have a hot glue-gun (and, my goodness, I hope you do!), you can attach *anything* to a dog collar. If you can attach something to a dog collar, you can attach a ribbon to it. If you can attach a ribbon to it, you can attach your rings to it, and voila! You've got yourself a dog ring bearer collar. I mean, look at this *gorge* headband by Crankypants:



I'd look hot in it. You'd look hot in it. And you'd better believe my blue heeler would look hot with this lovely number tied around her neck with a couple of rings dangling from it.

In fact, I challenge YOU to find more beautiful items that were not originally intended for the purpose of dog ring-bearing, and post them in the comments below.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE it!!!! That headband would make a fab doggy ring bearer collar. I'd like it on me too! Hmmm is it in the budget.....?

    Great inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the doggie ideas...if only mine were that well behaved!! The photo-op cut-outs are fabulous too. My husband-to-be and I were just talking last night about possibly incorporating a carnival cut-out theme into our save the dates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photo-Ops are always necessary! Everyone loves and remembers them and really - how can you resist? Even crazy Uncle Al wants to smile as a mermaid :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We totally just had a bride get a mask for the photo "booth" she wanted to set up at the reception! So much fun! (This from the girl that had her engagement photos taken in a b&w coin-op booth, though... :? And, yes. I'm completely serious about that.) Thanks for featuring our masks! :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...